Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Where Are They Now Wednesday--Shannon Samanka




Name: Shannon Samanka

Years at LHU:  2005-2009

Degree(s) Earned:  Bachelor’s Degree in Sport Administration with a Minor in Coaching

Years You Swam: 2005-2009

Best Events:  500 Free & 200 IM.  (I swam a lot of the other crazy events, like the 1000 Free and the 1650.  I swam the 400 IM twice and I may have threatened to quit if I ever had to swim it again.)
Most Memorable Swimming Memory:  I have a lot.  I think all 4 years of swimming is my most memorable.  (I have a pretty bad memory when it comes to these types of things)
Awards Received at School:   I did get a pretty sweet award that was voted in my favor by my swimmer peers.  I got the 1st Cocoa Beach Award.  I busted my butt my Freshman Year and it was noticed…so that was pretty cool and a pretty humbling experience to receive that award!

Maiden Name:  My Maiden Name will be Samanka…when and if I get married!

Occupation:  I work in the Sporting Industry…so I’m pretty lucky to be working in the field that I studied for all those years ago.

Company:  I work for the MiLB team, the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.  Yes, I live in Myrtle Beach, be jealous!  I have a pretty nice tan right now (and most of the year)!

Title:  Box Office Manager (Queen of the Box Office)

Spouses Name:  I don’t have a Spouse.  But, I do have an awesome boyfriend…his name is Blake Barbee.  And if we get married, my last name is going to be Barbee, like the doll.  Another thing to be jealous about, I know!

Children:  I have 3.  PJ, Fee, and Gus!  (They are my animals!)

Anything Else You’d Like To Share With Haven Nation:  I met some of the best friends I have in my life currently from being a part of the LHU Swim Team.  I got my butt kicked with practices and it gave me the discipline I currently display in my day to day life.  Being a college athlete is probably the best thing I could have done with my life and I owe a lot of how I live my life now to being an athlete.  I couldn’t have asked for a better experience!  Although, since my last race in 2009, I haven’t done much swimming.  I’ll eventually get back in the water…sometimes it’s hard to just swim without someone telling you what to swim and in what order.  I’m not very good at coaching myself in that aspect.  I may have Coach Joel send me an easy workout when I get back in the water

No comments: