Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Where Are They Now Wednesday--Coach Tom Justice



Coach Tom Justice

As I write this, I look back at the team pictures from when I coached. I learned SO MUCH from my swimmers. I took the job of coaching swimming in 1991, because the swimmers needed a coach . . . and no one else was willing to take the position. I later learned that they were going to drop the program altogether if they couldn't find a coach.

I remember asking the swimmers what they expected of me, were I to take the job. The one thing that came out loud and clear was, "We want to train in Florida!"

So, by God, the next winter I took them down to Florida, and we trained at the Hall of Fame pool in Ft. Lauderdale. I can never forget those days. [By the way, those two-a-days back at the Haven were really three-a-days for the old coach, because I also had volleyball practice. It was very difficult for my family, because I hardly saw them. I was under a lot of strain.]

I retired at age 67. I still live in Lock Haven. All my children live in the East. I spend my time writing a book on coaching and doing a lot of research for that. For my retirement trip, I went to Turkey, Greece and Crete. Last February I was in Ukraine, during all the protests where many people died. [My daughter-in-law is doing research over there.]

I still work-out. OF COURSE! But I can no longer run due to an artificial hip replacement.

Looking back, I wish I could have done more for my swimmers. BUT I am happy that these brave souls, along with me saved, the swimming program.

I have enclosed a picture from last summer's climb up Long's Peak in Colorado.

-Coach Justice

Coach Justice's official GOLHU.com bio can be viewed HERE.

No comments: